Sloths are cool....

Welcome to my new and improved blog.....



Yes, I got the name of my blog from an idea I saw online (not someone else's blog or page name, I promise.)  Also, I love sloths. I can relate to the sloth. If I could live in a tree for 7 days at a time and not socialize with anyone, I would do it. But only if it was comfortable. By tree, I guess I mean, my bed, in my bedroom, with the curtains closed. Ok, alright, I do already do this. I can stay in my bedroom for days at a time and not care about the outside world. I really, truly don't. You'll see why as I write more about myself.

After a year and a half of research, I realize now that I have Asperger's, or now as it is being diagnosed, Autism I. Being on the spectrum is very difficult but coming to that realization was such a RELIEF for me. It explained all of the things that I just couldn't figure out. For the longest time, I was trying to "fix" myself so that I could fit in better with society not understanding why it wasn't working. Now that I know, I'm no longer trying to fix myself but am learning what makes me unique and when I need someone to help me through a difficult time. I'm learning coping skills that are better suited to dealing with a situation in the moment, rather than fixing myself for everyone else to love more. Females have an amazing way of "masking" when they are in social situations and that is what causes me to break down when I get home. So instead of masking I just own it now. I'm autistic and that's the way it is. I strive to do my best in EVERYTHING I do, but I want people around me to know.

I am attending college and it is hard but I try to do the best I can and utilize every resource available to the students to help me succeed. It's my second semester technically. It would have been my third, but I had to drop out last semester because of life events that were unusual.

Anyway, I hope you stay tuned. I will talk a lot about Aspie life, college life, and life in general!

Comments

Popular Posts